Friday, October 3, 2008

I ALWAYS FEEL… (October 3rd)

“Gabrielle” is a French name, but I’m in no way French. My parents solely chose the name because it began with a “G,” and they liked the way it sounded.

Now, I must confess that when I realized I would be going to France, I couldn’t have been more pleased that I possessed such a first name. I mean, I would fit in! The French would completely understand my name when I told them, and they would be able to easily pronounce and remember it. What could be better? It was like being given a head start.

Of course, now that I’m in France, that feeling has changed. Every time I find myself in a situation where I must state my name, I always feel as though I’m pronouncing it incorrectly! I first had this inclination in my French course at Lyon Bleu (when I heard Camille, my professor of French heritage, state my name in a question), and ever since then, I can’t seem to get over this silly fear. Maybe having a French name wasn’t such a blessing after all? Or maybe I’m just blowing this out of proportion. No one else seems to have noticed the difference. In any case, I just thought I’d let you all know.

Avec l'Amour,
G

No comments: